Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Hamlet's Castle

It’s my last day in Denmark, and there’s one place I want to go that I haven’t been yet, which is Kronborg Castle in a little town called Helsingør, about 50km north of Copenhagen on the coast. Kronborg castle has achieved fame in many ways, but one of the most notable is being the setting for Shakespeare's Hamlet.

My plan is to take the train there and ride my borrowed bike back to Copenhagen along Rt 152, down the Danish the coast. I get on the train with my bike for the hour or so ride to Helsingør. Once I get off the train, I walk into town, through Danish flag-lined streets. I’ve seen this before with Italian, Chinese and Mexican flags, but never Danish. It’s really festive.

It’s not hard to see the castle off in the distance—and it really does have a moat! Super cool! (It’s only about 6 inches deep though. )

The rooms in the castle are very elaborate. The bedrooms of the royalty have elaborately painted ceilings of stories that weren't able to be written down on paper.

The large ballroom is amazing. Walking through it you can almost feel the ghosts of medieval meals and dances taking place around you...

One of the best parts of the experience is the Dutch Maritime Museum, which let's you get on the roof of the castle. The views are amazing and you can see Sweden in the distance. It's only 4km away.

On the way home, I ride through town again and see a really cool statue of girls dancing, surrounded by flowers...


Approximately 10k down the road, I also stop by Louisiana, which is a museum that just happens to be closed on Mondays. So I continue my way down the coast. It's reminds me of New England...cold and gray beaches, but beautiful...


Overall, the trip takes about 4 hours, including many stops. It's a beautiful way to spend my last day in Denmark.

No comments:

Post a Comment