Friday, May 28, 2010

Stockholm, Sweden May 26-28, 2010

It's not often that you get to wake up and say...I think I'll go to Sweden tomorrow, but that's what happened and here I am.

Stockholm is a really beautiful city, made up of ~14 islands. Pictures (well, at least the ones I took) can't really do it justice. But I'll share some anyway. :)


This is city view was taken from a walk around Södermalm (Southern Island).

I'm sure there are many things to do in Stockholm, but I only had one full day, so I walked...a lot. I ran into some cool things, like this really pretty Church of Catherine (Katarina kyrkan) on Högbergsgatan St, in an old area of town:


And this lantern (?) outside a building near the city center:


I also took an Under the Bridges boat tour, which gives a historical tour of the city while traveling under ~ 15 bridges and past the Stockholm City Hall where the Nobel Prizes (except Peace Prize) banquet is held.

The two buildings below as seen from the tour were particularly impressive. The one on the right is the Hotel Diplomat. The strip of land that these buildings lie on is the Strandvägen, which is one of the most expensive areas.


And, "Behold!" Here's a shot of the spectacular Royal Palace from the tour:


There's a lot of interesting news about the Royal Swedish Family these days, as Crown Princess Victoria is getting married to Daniel Westling, a high end gym owner and personal trainer on June 19, 2010.

There's a lot of places that "normal" people live too, here's what the ones on the water look like:



I also went to Vasamuseet, a ship museum. The interesting thing about this war ship is that it was elaborately built, but apparently without enough ballasts or weight to stabilize it. On it's maiden voyage in 1628, it heeled over after just 1,500 meters--less than a mile out--and remained sunk, but preserved by the fresh water and silt / mud it sank in. It was raised 333 years later and restored to 95%.



The coolest part about the ship was the adornments, like the ones below that were cast as re-makes so we can see them in color:



I have some more pictures of a miniature model of the ship and city views posted on flickr.

No comments:

Post a Comment