Monday, May 24, 2010

Getting Lost

I've spent the last two days biking around the city and getting lost. It's been so much fun! I've found the Royal Palaces (again!) sometimes twice in one day. Also I've found streets called Frederiksborggade and Frederiericiagade--which look very similar when you're whizzing by in a crowd of bikes. Apparently I inadvertently biked 15km last night, which should have been 8km. Oops. :)

I think it's a function of the fact that the streets aren't on a grid, the names change every few blocks and they tend to run NE-->SW instead of the more familiar N->S. But it's been a constant adventure, and I've stumbled upon some interesting things. Most of them I didn't stop to take pictures of, but I did like this bright green statue of Moses from 1853.


I also biked to Christiania today. It's a small, anarchist community that used to be a military barracks, was overrun in the 70s and became a free community. It's a little dirty and hippie-ish, but that description really doesn't do it justice. There are no photos, no hard drugs, no taxes and no automobiles allowed. I went for Morgenstedet one of the city's only vegetarian restaurants.



I had a delicious miso vegetable soup and 2 salads--one noodle with pumpkin seeds, red peppers, lettuce and onions and one rhubarb, lentil, carrot salad. It was all awesome. And the weather was sunny, so I got to sit outside.

I've been mentioning a lot about biking, so I guess I should mention that it's the main type of transportation. Taxes on motor vehicles in Denmark can be up to 180%, so a $10k car can cost you almost $30k.

Having said that, it's impossible not to notice all the bikes immediately upon entering the city. This was my first picture as soon as I got off the bus:



You can see rows upon rows of them in the town squares as well. It's such a great way to get around. But as a pedestrian watch out for bikes--don't get in their way!



There's a bridge in town that I cross each day that has a counter for each bike per day that passes by. In this picture, it was only 12:14am on May 25, and already 40 riders had crossed the bridge.


By the time I passed it again this evening around 7:30pm, there had been over 10k riders going just in that direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment